Myopia Control to Help You Maintain Good Vision
Myopia is the industry's term for nearsightedness. Myopia control is important for keeping your vision at an optimum level. The skilled staff at Faro Optometry in Lynwood and Los Angeles, CA, can help you maintain your vision. We can determine the extent of your nearsightedness and provide a variety of solutions to help you keep your vision for years to come.
What Causes Myopia (Nearsightedness)?
In normal vision, light entering your eye is focused onto your retina located on the inside back wall of your eye. With myopia, the focused light falls short of your retina. This happens because the contour of your cornea or intraocular lens is misshapen.
- Cornea: Your cornea is the clear cover over top of your pupil and iris. Its purpose in vision is to bend the light entering your eye to focus it onto your retina. In myopia, the contour of the cornea is shaped in a fashion to cause the light to fall short of the retina.
- Lens: Your lens is a transparent tissue located underneath of your iris and pupil. In combination with your cornea, it helps to focus light onto your retina. Any misshape in its makeup can cause you to be nearsighted.
What Are the Symptoms of Nearsightedness?
- Blurry vision at a distance
- Having to squint often to focus your eyes
- Noticing that you are sitting closer to the T.V.
- Headaches from eye strain
Myopia Control Options
- Corrective Lenses: Corrective lenses are the most popular solutions to controlling nearsightedness. These lenses pre-bend the light entering your cornea and lens, compensating for your eyes' inability to bend light correctly. Corrective lenses are provided in two basic forms:
1. Eyeglasses: Eyeglasses contain either glass or plastic lenses and are worn on the face.
2. Contact lenses: Contacts are worn directly on the eyes and come in many different forms.
- Orthokeratology: Orthokeratology is a non-invasive treatment that reshapes your cornea. It is accomplished by wearing lenses similar to contact lenses while you sleep. The lenses gently reshape your cornea to the correct shape. You take them out when you get up and go about your day. It may take up to a couple of months for your vision to become clear.
Trusted Myopia Control Support
Over time, your myopia will either improve or get worse. Having regular eye exams at Faro Optometry in Lynwood and Los Angeles, CA, will help you to stay in control of it. Set up an appointment with us today for a full eye exam and avail yourself of quality eye care. Your vision is our main concern. Give us a call at 310-844-7961 (Lynwood) or 323-988-1033 (Los Angeles) to set up an appointment.